Beasts of Beyond
the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - Printable Version

+- Beasts of Beyond (https://beastsofbeyond.com)
+-- Forum: Other (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Archived Animal Roleplay (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Uncharted Territories (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival (/showthread.php?tid=9149)

Pages: 1 2

the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - teef - 02-07-2019

[align=center][Image: giphy.webp]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[color=#7E354D]BAI SHI

" my own illusion come to be "

[color=#7E354D] it was time, by now, to get ththe decorations up for the lunar new year festival, for the chinese new year. truth be told, they were far behind, and half of their family was missing or dead and the other half weren't on the best talking terms or they just didnt all have enough time to gather together.

bai shi paused in their den to collect their mind, the serpent in their fox form, standing on their back legs with a branch of leaves clenched in their jaws, sweeping the dust from their den, humming songs to themselves as they went about cleaning out the 'bad luck and bad memories', their eyes wandering to the red leathers on the floor of their den, draped over their nest.

they smiled internally, shaking their pale fur out after they finished cleaning to very gingerly resume their dragon body and use their four claws to grasp a haphazard spring of ferns and dip it into a pot of ink they had discovered in the den while cleaning. they began to write slowly and deliberately on the dyed leathers, scrawling a poem about the spring that was coming. they would tack these couplets on the entrance to their den, using stones and shards to impale the wall since they hadn't been able to find glue to paste them.

in the Chinese tongue, the couplets translated into 'yíng xīn chūn jiāng shān jǐn xiù' on the leather to the left of the door, 'cí jiù suì shì tài huī huáng' on the leather to the right of the door, and 'chūn yì àng rán on the leather about the door, which translated into its English equivalent of 'Ring in the spring; landscape is splendid. Ring out the past; everything is glorious. A Refreshed Spring.'

their gaze would fall to the jars of fireflies that they had caught, gaze warm as they looked over the red dyed containers and jars that had been found in the neutral grounds, leftovers from former ages. they had been lucky to find a few old paper lanterns from those times, mostly intact and merely needed candles that they traded for. they would go about the territory and hang up the jars and lanterns in glee, staking a lantern above the entrance to their den, the largest in the territory, also where the feast would be held.

they hadn't been able to find anything similar to the firecrackers of their memories and instead intended to use the fireflies that night to manipulate them with their air elemental to make designs in the sky. they had stories to tell tonight, a few of their favorites from their own childhood. they had gone about setting up red envelopes with the names of the roseblood members, as well as their own family members. the ones that were missing, would have their envelopes set out on a river at a later time so that they might reach them in their own homes or in the spirit realm. money was traditionally stored in these red-dyed crudely folded envelopes, but since there was no agreed upon currency, bai had taken the time to trade for items that they knew each member would enjoy.

the envelopes would be given out later, when the 'firecrackers' lit up the sky and they had everyone watch. but first was waiting for everyone to arrive, the den decorated in soft downy things that would combat the chill of the desert night, the ceiling of the building giving a wide and beautiful view of the sky for viewing pleasure. the tables and low crumbled walls were decorated with many different foods and sweets, namely steamed fishes that they had traveled far to get. they had been lucky to find things that they could craft into messy 'dumplings' set in a clay pot of water in the desert sun ... easy boiling. the hardest things to make were similar items to spring rolls and glutinous rice balls, the spring rolls just mercilessly ground wild fowl and veggies wrapped up in edible leaves that they had foraged for. they couldn't be fried, left in the sun to dry. the rice balls ... picked rice left to sit in water in the dying sun just clumped together in the haphazard shape of balls. now ... they waited patiently, excited to share their cultural tradition with their new family.

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - Usagi Smallpaw - 02-07-2019

She had left early in the morning,her legs had been paining her more than usual today and she had gone to the oasis to soak up some heat and sooth them. As she had limped back she noticed the banners so she peeked in and seeing how clean the den was,stepped back and began trying to wash the sand from her coat,letting out a yelp as she had forgotten her powers often chilled the water"sh-shoot too cold!blushing she peeks a head in,head and fur dripping wet and trying not to make a mess"s-sibling c-could I get your help i-I don't have enough control a-and I don't want to make a mess"[color=red] this was so embarrassing

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - teef - 02-07-2019

[color=#7E354D]BAI SHI

[color=#7E354D]"are you positive that you want my help, usagi? you might end up as a ball of fur." they laughed softly, the dragon unfurling from the top of the building where they had been basking in the last of the suns rays after setting everything up. they slithered down slowly, so as not to disturb the dust, curling when on the ground, their eyes blinking and whiskers twitching. they took a deep breath and let it out slowly through their mouth with enough force to gently wring the water from usagi's coat, chuckling softly.

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - Vincent - 02-07-2019

Although the rest of the world, expect primarily the Asian countries who worked on a different calendar than most of the world, would have two different days to celebrate New Years, New Years day ( if they wanted to) and Chinese New years which fell on random days each year.  The serval walked over, amber hues glancing around at the massive span of red, gold and well black ink.

" Happy year of the pig I guess? Aren't you late?" Vincent asked has he carefully made sure that he didn't disturb the dust, a pissy dragon was not on his ways to die from. Although this was the tip of the iceberg, this was relatively tame compared to china-town, K-town.  Now that was an entire different display celebrating the same holiday just on a different scheme.  " Any who er I have something for you Bai. Consider it a late Christmas present and even belated Chinese new years gift," he added now sitting on his haunches, curling his tail around his paws, and with that additional mention. [b]" I have some kumquat seeds that sprouted, and I don't want to toss them out since this weather isn't really suited for such a plant. I suspect you have a better use for them in a green house or something like that? Unless you don't want them of course." [/b]

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - teef - 02-07-2019

[color=#7E354D]BAI SHI

[color=#7E354D]"kumquat? ah yes. it is late. i fear that it is, but alas, still time for a celebration. it is still the lunar new year festival. xīn chūn zhì xǐ. to record the happiness from the new spring." bai shi responded to him, dipping their head in welcome greeting.

"I will be leaving fofor elysium soon so the sprouts will be well cared for in such an environment. I apologize, I dont have any Christmas gifts for you, but there are a few things inside in an envelope with your name on it. I think you'll enjoy them." they smiled warmly, voice gentle and light. "when the sun sets, we will start our celebrations i do suppose." they murmured lightly.

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - Usagi Smallpaw - 02-07-2019

Giggling Usagi gaits air dried by Bai and as they finish Usaig's fur poofs up as warned and she almost falls with laughter, just managing to catch herself and calm down before Vincent arrives. she quietly listens as they talk and she turns to Bai shi nervously and her tails flick around slowly and she begins to shuffle a bit[color=Orange] "I-i got s-something for you i j-just didn't know w-when t-to give it to you..."

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - Jiyu Simul Stamus - 02-07-2019

Bai Shi had set this up and that was just fine by the other vizier, to be brutally honest she hated social events. Without emotions? It was a risky setting for her, plus with their flower theme it often required her to handle those cursed plants. Shifted to her three foot feline draconic form the female walked into the house with her wings tucked into her side but her long tail did briefly accidently slam into the doorframe. Since it had been years since she was this large and she spent most of her time exploring, fighting or hunting? The calico was somewhat awkward inside of buildings still not realizing her tail was nearly twice the length she was. Making her way to behind her apprentice the vizier looked down at usagi who seemed to be doing better, one wing extending slightly out of habit to shadow over the smaller animal for a second, left ear flicking. "I figured I'd show you one of the new charts later." she mentioned idly her voice static snow as the three foot woman sat down.

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - sephiroth - 02-07-2019

[Image: tumblr_pkofcj42CR1vp132no1_540.gif]
SEPHIROTH
MALE — ROSEBLOODS — PHARAOH — HOVER FOR TAGS
[div style="background-color: #292727; color: white; font-family: arial; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing: 1px; text-align: justify; overflow: auto; width: 500px; height: 340px; padding: 10px;"]Sephiroth...wasn't exactly social or emotional enough to really be able to fully appreciate the event, that and his general distaste for large groups and crowds.  But he wad desperate for anything to stimulate at this point, the lack of activity unnerved him.  No participating would overall be a positive thing to do, regardless of his own aloofness.

The lion's frame cast an ethereal shadow near the mouth of the den as he slipped inside fluidly, his turquoise eyes settling on Bai Shi before anybody else.  Something heavy settled in his stomach at the sight of the serpent, something he would not or could not name.  He stopped in his step for a heartbeat as if caught in a slight trance, though he quickly shook himself from it and gave a look to the other Rosebloods in the room, dipping his head in greeting to them.  Sephiroth would pad foreword, moving himself towards the small group that had gathered around, keeping his head up in a confident manner.  He wasn't familiar with the tradition going on, but Bai Shi was here and that made him feel better.  "Lovely set up."  The Pharaoh would compliment simply as he sat down.

[color=#7E354D]BAI SHI

[color=#7E354D]with a polite inclination of their head, bai shi would welcome everyone indoors to their home, the center of the gathering, a smile splitting their face as they watched NPC children race around laughing. they were at ease, relaxed for once around everyone that they considered family.

laughing softly they smiled after the youngsters, turning their attention back to the folk around them, their gaze warm. "ah, its alright, usagi, it's always a good time for a gift." they murmured, bowing their head in a smile. their gaze turned to jiyu next and they grinned, "thank you. I will confer my own explorations with you." they hummed warmly.

their eyes shifted to sephiroth, a warmth striking through their body at the sight of the other before they quickly chased away the warmth, blinking as they responded in a careful appreciative tone, "thank you sire. it reminds me of home, with the youngest screaming and running with red banners and ribbons[/b]" a soft laugh before their gaze turned away, swallowing. they wanted what they could not have, but this wasnt the time to worry upon it.

they smiled even as jiyu accidentally bumped the doorway, their body calm and content to be in everyone's presence. "I suppose that this calls for a happy new year? I have a few stories if anyone wants to hear the origins of why my people celebrate our new year. Vincent might know, but I'm not sure if everyone else does." they laughed with a smile.

Re: the year of the pig // (belated) lunar new year festival - Usagi Smallpaw - 02-08-2019

Usagi smiled and attempts to lay down near the closest heat source to try and help sooth her hind legs, hiding the instinctual wince that came. they hurt more than usual today but she wasnt going to let that stop Bai from having fun and enjoying what was obviously so important to her. No she wouldnt mess up today no matter what happened."M-maybe i can give you it a-after your stories i-i really want to hear them..."