Beasts of Beyond
SHARE COOL LEGENDS/MYTHOLOGY/STORIES HERE? - Printable Version

+- Beasts of Beyond (https://beastsofbeyond.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: SHARE COOL LEGENDS/MYTHOLOGY/STORIES HERE? (/showthread.php?tid=7813)

SHARE COOL LEGENDS/MYTHOLOGY/STORIES HERE? - miss ririchiyo - 11-10-2018

henlo henlo

so im interested mainly in greek and japanese mythology, but feel free to splurge about anything you take interest in related to the topic of legends, mythology, and stories!

- Icarus and the Sun
- Achilles Heel
- Persephone & Her Relationship w/ Hades
- Titania & Oberon
- Hercules & The Two Snakes
- King Arthur
- Aphrodite's birth/creation
Heres some stories that I know of and theyre pretty interesting, but Id love to hear more!
© LEXASPERATED

Re: SHARE COOL LEGENDS/MYTHOLOGY/STORIES HERE? - toboggan - 11-11-2018

my favourite type of mythology is NATIVE AMERICAN!! there’s so many different groups, all with unique beliefs, though most of them share common themes with respect for the earth, which is a valid thing.

some local bias here - i really love the mi’kmaq group’s mythology, especially with glooscap (the creator guy). there are many versions of glooscap’s story, with some versions coming from other groups (like the abenaki people), but i prefer the mi’kmaq’s because it hits pretty close to home with the atlantic canada elements in it.

glooscap was just as giant in size as he was in power, having created life and its mysteries. sometimes, he had to combat his evil twin brother, who had caused chaos like the curves in rivers, and insurmountable mountains. glooscap made all the mountains, all the valleys, and everything else.

one time, all the water in the world was consumed by a giant malicious frog monster. the world was surely to end, but then, glooscap killed it, and released all of the devoured water back into the world. some animals were so happy by this, they jumped in the water, creating fish and other water-based animals.

once he was done painting the world, glooscap dipped his brush into a mix of all the colours, and painted the most beautiful island in the world, which is now known as prince edward island. when he slumbered at night, he used nova scotia as his bed, and prince edward island as his pillow.

other inventions to glooscap’s name include tobacco, fire, knowledge, boats, and fishing nets, cementing glooscap as a cultural hero. there are many communities and institutions which include his name.

i kinda wrote a bit much. i really find this stuff interesting.

also the wendigo. gotta love the wendigo.

Re: SHARE COOL LEGENDS/MYTHOLOGY/STORIES HERE? - tempest - 11-12-2018

MY TIME HAS COME

so my favorite subgroup of myths is definitely mesoamerican / latin american, since i'm the most familiar with it!

my favorite beast from this is the quetzalcoatl, a feathered serpent who represents learning! it's said that quetz is actually a toltec king whose legacy was mixed up with mythology, but who really knows lol. he rivaled tezcatlipoca as a god of creation, and when he was defeated by the former, he sailed out into the sea with a raft of serpents.

a myth of creation i find really interesting is the maya's. creation began with huracan (which is where the word hurricane comes from!), a great wind that blew over the sea which caused land to rise. xpiacoc and xmucane, two other gods, helped huracan create other deities and plants and animals. for the people, their first attempt was to make them out of clay, and they melted into the water. the second attempt was of wood, but it was flammable and dull. for the final attempt, they mixed yellow and white corn (or maize) flour and made the first fathers, ancestors of all, from it.