Beasts of Beyond
RP Lingo guide? - Printable Version

+- Beasts of Beyond (https://beastsofbeyond.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Helpful Hub (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: RP Lingo guide? (/showthread.php?tid=7415)

Pages: 1 2

RP Lingo guide? - Orion - 10-28-2018

I think it would be fun to make! Anyone interested? I can work on it soon!

Re: RP Lingo guide? - Waylon - 10-28-2018

Sure. It may be useful to newer people.

Please include rapid fire posts. That is about all I have time for these days and probably make up the majority of posts on sites like BoB.

Also try to include god-moding and all its subsets, like metagaming and retconning. Really explain metagaming! It is/was the most often instance of godmoding on past rp sites similar to BoB and sometimes people don't even realize they are doing it and that it isn't allowed/fair.

Re: RP Lingo guide? - galexiux - 10-28-2018

rp lingo? Like the made up vocabulary we use on site? Im a bit confused just by the title ;w;

Re: RP Lingo guide? - Imortapose - 10-28-2018

Agreeing with Gale on this. You might wanna define what "RP lingo" is just so that everyone can be on the same page. xD

My first thought was that you meant stuff like "bump," "track," "fancyposts," and other terms that we use around the site that outsiders might not be familiar with. I wasn't even thinking about what Platonic suggested, but the terms should definitely be added into the guide as well as they'd also be beneficial for oldies to get a refresher on. So basically like... A guide with both terms used on this/similar forums and terms used all over the roleplaying community would be hella.

(PS I phrased this entire post poorly because I wasn't sure how to translate my thoughts but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to convey?)

Re: RP Lingo guide? - miss ririchiyo - 10-29-2018

oh yeah,
i'm kinda dumb so i agree w the two above me!

explain more? riri is a dumb binch LMAO

Re: RP Lingo guide? - Grey - 10-29-2018

[div style="cursor: url("http://cur.cursors-4u.net/cursors/cur-9/cur817.cur"), auto; margin: 0 auto; border-width:0; width: 70%; text-align: justify; line-height: 1.5; font-family: arial; font-size: 10pt;"]from my understanding, rp lingo is any terminology people will usually use on site and godmodding/metagaming fits into the category as well.

i think a guide on it it will be really helpful especially considering some people tend to gloss over and miss important points to an adoption thread (for lack of a better example) due to people using shortcuts that others will usually understand.

my main example is fcfs (first come, first served) is used frequently along with hpr - i remember when i was still new to roleplaying the main game, i avoided threads that used terms i wasn't familiar with, but i've also seen cases of people jumping into roleplay after making their application when they had to wait for approval. another common one that newcomers fall under the trap of is pafp because i've heard so many stories of people accidentally jumping into private threads. i guess an explanation of open and private threads as part of rp lingo works too.

i agree with platonic in including a definition of what godmodding and metagaming is? not as a way of setting rules but a way of making explanations easier in future, especially if someone is unsure if a choice they are making would count as godmodding/metagaming they can just check the guide. they count as rp lingo to me as they're quite specific with what they mean when it comes to writing posts <33

- long story short: yes, interested !

Re: RP Lingo guide? - Orion - 10-30-2018

Any terminology for roleplay and our own site's lingo. Like Grey and Vix said! <33

[member=1131]Platonic[/member] Rapid fire posts? I'm unsure of what that one is tbh.

Explanations would be hella helpful too, especially if we need to specify what a warning is for or introduce a new member. HPR's are a site-specific thing, along with many other terms.

Re: RP Lingo guide? - axiom - 10-30-2018

[align=center]
rapid fire posting is usually when you're in a private thread with someone and both of you are cranking replies out to advance the plot of the thread.
ex - plot wise, your character bob needs to trade for an item x from claire. so you and claire's rper do 'rapid fire posting' to have this transaction take place.

it's usually considered quantity > quality.

at least, that's usually what i see it used in w/ other rpg sites -- especially in rpg sites that are more strict than this one, where if it doesn't happen in a thread then it's considered to never have happened.

Re: RP Lingo guide? - Random Akatsuki Dude - 10-30-2018

[align=center][div style="width: 500px; text-align: justify; font-family: helvetica; font-size: 8pt; line-height: 1.4;"]
Huh, when I think about "rapid fire posting", it sounds like it's when you make shorter, quicker posts, hence the "rapid fire".  Although, it does make sense, from how y'all explained it too.  On a private thread, it would only be two RPers, usually anyway, so there's no need to wait for anyone else, while an open one is pretty much fair game for everyone to post in, and it can get crazy sometimes.

Re: RP Lingo guide? - TheGroom - 10-30-2018

[member=207]axiom[/member] and [member=279]Random Akatsuki Dude[/member] are exactly right about rapid-fire posts and what they mean and what they are often used for. On more advanced and stricter rpgs, they are useful to have an event occur quickly in time for another plot, thread, etc.

It also goes by the name blitz or blitzing as well as rapid-fire.