Beasts of Beyond
Acknowledging Prefixes - Printable Version

+- Beasts of Beyond (https://beastsofbeyond.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Announcements (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Acknowledging Prefixes (/showthread.php?tid=4606)

Acknowledging Prefixes - Orion - 08-04-2018

Hey BoBCats,

If you have experienced server slowness, it's probably because I'm organizing the site by adding prefixes to literally every thread on site. Don't you worry. There shouldn't be any downtime for this! Even so, I'd like to ask a few things of you:

1) If you have unlabeled threads, please label them now. This makes my job a hundred times easier and I can filter out which threads are already labeled within the server for easier access. If you've seen 'Last Edited by Orion', then you know I've already edited your prefix.

2) Prefixes will be required from this moment to help with organization. Prefixes will be added as needed / per request to fulfill these needs.

3) Opinions on the prefix system and it's design? I have been considering changing the look of the prefixes. Feel free to comment down below if you'd like to share your opinion.

Thanks,
Orion

Re: Acknowledging Prefixes - aureate - 08-05-2018

[align=center][div style="width: 500px; text-align: justify; font-family: helvetica; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 1.4;"]This is by no means a huge thing but since you were asking for opinions on the prefix design, I personally find it rather clunky and distracting in threads? I'm not sure if it's because the width/height or the rounded edges, which also seem a little out of place to me on a site that has a lot of sharp corners.

Re: Acknowledging Prefixes - Orion - 08-05-2018

I do agree with that, honestly. Though the point is to move attention onto the labels, but even so, not that much. Any ideas on what we can change it to possibly?

[align=center][div style="width: 500px; text-align: justify; font-family: helvetica; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 1.4;"]I think a good middle between gaining attention and distracting from other information in the title could be perhaps lessening the height of the colored background and rounding the corners less, if that's possible? I'm not sure how much of this can be customized.

Some of the colors themselves are also startling but I'm not sure how to maintain the individuality of the tags while also keeping them reasonably within the site color scheme.

Re: Acknowledging Prefixes - Orion - 08-05-2018

Really, my problem is switching between themes. Yesterday I presented alternate options in the BoB Discord because I was curious.
Images of Alternates:
The problem would be making sure the prefixes are visible on all theme and aren't too dark/too light. We already have this problem with our member ranks you can see at the bottom of the site.

[align=center][div style="width: 500px; text-align: justify; font-family: helvetica; font-size: 9pt; line-height: 1.4;"]I personally like [This] prefix style, as well as the box ones, they seem much cleaner to and less distracting to me! I definitely also have issues seeing the member ranks, but I wasn't aware that BoB had alternative themes. Do the colors change there as well? Would there be a way to add a thin border on something like the box prefixes? Like the way that people use a shadow on white text to define the edges and ensure visibility?

Re: Acknowledging Prefixes - Orion - 08-06-2018

I do too! Since we do have alternate themes, yes, the color would change with all of them. Though, if I did do this within the server myself, I'm sure I could find a way around it to customize each prefix to give them their own color of choice(outline, box, text color, etc). I'll mess with that. In the meantime, here are these like you asked for!

Here are some outlines I messed with... Colors are just ones I randomly picked from a hat tbh.
IMAGES OF ALTERNATES:

Re: Acknowledging Prefixes - Orion - 08-06-2018

Update: I can edit them individually.
Spoiler: