Beasts of Beyond
even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - Printable Version

+- Beasts of Beyond (https://beastsofbeyond.com)
+-- Forum: Other (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Archived Animal Roleplay (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Uncharted Territories (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! (/showthread.php?tid=12881)

even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - teef - 09-24-2020

[table][tr][td]
[Image: tumblr_podjm9hxLd1vd3h2u_540.gif]
[/td][td]
THE KINGPIN
golden lung dragon & black jaguar w/ vitiligo & platinum silver fox. unknown age - ancient. bai shi lynn lingré. proper chinese name is lin bai. prefers lynn if close. they/them. blind. wind element & electric element. firstborn son of jerisidie lingré & current head of family/general. courting delilah evergarden & halo mercer. kingpin of alithís evgenis. demiromantic gray-asexual. parent of veris, arvin, leoku, erian, flos, kekhai, evarhi, and laeglin. elder brother of ramona and hope, uncle of quennel and cosette.
[/td][/tr][/table]
this was a fun idea that they had been thinking of for some time, teaching the members of their group how to speak in different languages, even just simple words, just something to get everyone's minds off the stressful things happening around them. humming as they moved around, the dragon settled in the lobby of the inn, enjoying the feeling of soft items under their tired and aching body. coughing slightly, they winced, happy to be indoors as a storm raged outdoors, wind and rain lashing the outside of the building, the inside warmed by candle light and body heat. it was a wonderful feeling, being somewhere so warm and safe during a time such as this. "alithians! gather here with me to learn some new words and sayings! please feel free to teach your own languages!"

sorry its short! //

Re: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - SirDio - 09-25-2020

Asteri
"The stars listen, so don't say anything you'd regret."

Storms were no biggie for the unusually slim wolf - she found them calming when she was sheltered within a den or house. The Inn was no exception - with the sounds of the storm outside, she was in her room, reading over some old German she managed to snag on her way to Alithis. She found the words to be rather... aggressive if spoken with the needed tone. Zoning out for a bit, she heard Bai call out from the lobby. Learning languages? The idea roused the lass from her spot, and she stretched for a moment. Wishing the storm well (a tradition her mother passed onto her), she turned and headed out of her room and to the lobby.

"Learning Languages...! This should be fun." She said, mostly to herself, as she approached Bai Shi. "Ciao!"

Re: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - teef - 09-28-2020

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
THE KINGPIN
golden lung dragon & black jaguar w/ vitiligo & platinum silver fox. unknown age - ancient. bai shi lynn lingré. proper chinese name is lin bai. prefers lynn if close. they/them. blind. wind element & electric element. firstborn son of jerisidie lingré & current head of family/general. courting delilah evergarden & halo mercer. kingpin of alithís evgenis. demiromantic gray-asexual. parent of veris, arvin, leoku, erian, flos, kekhai, evarhi, and laeglin. elder brother of ramona and hope, uncle of quennel and cosette.
[/td][/tr][/table]
dipping their head to asteri, they smiled, "ciao, asteri! hmn, would you be interested in taking a spin at a few words in other languages? i know my own mother tongue and english rather well, but i'm always interested to learn more. if you would be so interested, i could probably jot down some hanzi from my language. what languages do you know? it sounds like you speak a bit of italian.", they chuckled, the dragon motioning to the wet clay slabs near them as well as the ink tray before them.

yawning slightly, the dragon stretched out, getting their tired and aching body comfortable, sneezing softly. "it would be of interest if we were to write them down, then should we decide to host another lesson on languages, than we could compare! it's not exactly, learning to write, but the way to speak the languages, i feel.", they murmured with a soft jovial rumble, tail curled up against them, body lain out in a comfortable position enough for others to come and lay against them should they wish so.

Re: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - SirDio - 09-28-2020

Asteri

Asteri beamed at Bai, her long tail wagging. "I'm a horrendous teacher, but I'm more than willing to learn. So far, i know a small bit of German and a fair bit of Italian." She said sweetly, walking up to sit beside Bai. "German's a bit rough for me - sounds really aggressive if you tone it correctly. Italian's... sweet." Simple words for simple meanings.

"It should be fun! It's been a while since i saw the languages, though - it may be hard for me to write down correct words or pronunciations." She shrugged, laying down next to Bai.

Re: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - teef - 09-28-2020

[table][tr][td]
[/td][td]
THE KINGPIN
[/td][/tr][/table]
taking comfort of her body at their side, the dragon rumbled comfortably, "it's also been forever since i've seen the words of my mother tongue written out. oh, you know some german? my mother knew an assassin who was fluent in german. i believe that i've seen her around?", they murmured softly, rumbling in contemplative thought, yawning as they relaxed, calmed by her scent with its tinges of lavender. "if you find italian easy, chinese might not be too hard for you, it's softer sounding words, although they can twist one's tongue.", they murmured softly.

ears twitching as they shook their antlered head, the dragon reached for one of the softer clay tablets, grateful for the kiln nearby, nodding to one of the NPCs in the room, knowing that they would take it away to be treated and fired. carefully, they etched out a word, the lines that they drew with their talon bringing them some sort of inner peace, "Niǎo. It means 'bird', and this is the character for it. Bird, in traditional tongue.", they chuckled, looking at the character with a fond smile. They had drawn the character, 鳥, the memories coming to their mind bringing them peace as they remembered the birds that had gone flying around their home palace as a child.

Re: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - TinkerLoam - 10-02-2020

quietly the female would approach, sniffing the air curiously as she found the different scents, ears perking up as she approached, "Γειά σου!", the feline would call out, curious as she approached the dragon and she wolf, tail curling as she purred. it was truly warm inside, and the heat from the hearth and kiln only made it much more comfortable inside. chuckling softly as she sat down on a pillow not far away, she smiled, "it means hello in greek! i speak some greek, i used to live along the coast as a kitten.", she murmured softly and warmly.

Re: even fool's gold brings the thieves >> language learning! - SirDio - 10-04-2020

Asteri
"The stars listen, so don't say anything you'd regret."

Paying close attention to Bai's movements, seeing how the character was drawn, she didn't realize Loam was approaching until she heard the greek. A small startled jump caused her to look over before calming down. A bright smile gracing her face, she nodded gently. "That's really cool!" Clearing her throat gently, she spoke her Italian, "The Italian word for the noun 'fire' is 'fuoco'. It's been a while since I've read Italian, but I'm pretty sure it's spelled f - u - o - c - o."