Beasts of Beyond
peel your standards - reading - Printable Version

+- Beasts of Beyond (https://beastsofbeyond.com)
+-- Forum: Other (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Archived Animal Roleplay (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Forum: Uncharted Territories (https://beastsofbeyond.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Thread: peel your standards - reading (/showthread.php?tid=10661)

peel your standards - reading - fulzanin - 11-03-2019

Books were a struggle. They always were, always had been. Where she had been born there were books, yes. That didn't mean her mother had ever sat her down and read a book to her, or taught her to read or write. No, it was either hours in an incinerator while being hung by pikes in her wings, or being held alone in a room for hours where she refused to hunt down whatever hideous creature that she was supposed to kill. A creature made to kill, only to kill, to not think nor doubt had been what she was supposed to be. Instead, though, she had turned out wrong. Her wife tried to teach her how, and their friend had gotten her to almost understand the alphabet. Almost. Some letters still didn't make any sense to her, and others blended right in with each other.

The wyvern had found a book. That was no surprise. Books were everywhere. Their knowledge was everywhere, left behind by either those who used to live here or by passerbys that didn't notice it tumbling from their possession. Aslisk didn't truly care how she had come to possess the book, only that she now had it. It was almost dawn, and decided that there was little better a way to help her fall asleep than by reading some dumb book. She held the book in her mouth until she found a shaded spot to plop down under. Sitting in a way where she could turn the pages of the book was hard. Eventually she settled for propping the book up with her tail and sitting awkwardly on her rump, talons turning the pages. Her head and spine were curled inwards so that she could actually read the words.

Of course, she was easily frustrated with her incapability to understand any of the words. Just because she understood the alphabet (mostly) did not mean that words would come as easily. Aslisk soon was spitting and snarly, kicking the book away before her wings flapped. Raising to a stand, she continued spitting and fuming. "Stupid hasking books, and letters, and, and, rrraaassskikktiktolor!" Her spiky tail smacked into the ground. That was a new swear, her shoving together all her rage and fury into a word that most certainly sounded seething with hatred. A temper she held, a fierce one. Her red eyes glared down at the book, as if daring it to do something to defy her further. It did no such thing, but Aslisk punted it again anyways. Her jaws gaped as a threatening hiss sounded. Her right foot stomped against the ground, flapping her wings again and again. "Stupid stupid letters and stupid hasking books and hasking words!"

ive always had to get my hands dirty, a patrol to make sure no one hurts me

TAGS 10/3/19:

Re: peel your standards - reading - redvox. - 11-04-2019

Re: peel your standards - reading - fulzanin - 11-05-2019

For a brief moment, Aslisk winced. Watching the book fall back onto the ground after hitting Redvox in the head, the wyvern stood there rigid and stiff. Slowly her tail began moving, and the back and forth motion worked back up her form. Right. This wasn't the firesprink, as much as they looked alike. Goat and bat, goat and bat, for a brief moment her mind had began to prepare for an onslaught of fire and rage, of crude comments and having her tail handed to her, separated from her body, on a silver platter. Aslisk huffed, letting her irritation begin to flicker and die down. They were not the same. One of her webbed ears flicked as she strode closer, extending her talons to pull the book back close to herself. She wasn't sure if Redvox could even control fire like the firesprink could. Even then, the firesprink didn't have fire - it was damnable plasma. Hotter than fire, worse than fire - it could actually burn her back when she had been considerably fireproof.

Her wings shifted, staring continuing. "I'm alright. Not that-" The wyvern cut herself off upon realizing that her next words were going to be along the lines of 'it's any of your business'. He was the leader. It was, technically, his business, her pitching a fit like this. A deeper breath filled her lungs, and a sigh parted her maw. They even sounded similar, if Aslisk could even take Redvox's words harshly. She was used to presenting an overall facade of a lack of interest. Her tongue clicked against her teeth. "I was not being that loud, I can assure you." Aslisk played it off as she rolled her shoulders. The wyvern's lanky tail curled behind her, raising in the air to wave. "It's not actually my book. I just found it." Aslisk's tone then grew sharp. No. She would not admit that she was having troubles with reading. "No one wrote their name on the front cover," she lied, because there was a name - unrecognizable but there, "and so I decided to give it a whirl or whatever. It was very, very dumb. Xiogipa dung, even." Aslisk muttered, a hiss curling under her words. She shot the book a glare.

"I'll have you know it was so boring that I can't even tell you what it was about." The scaly creature then decided to swiftly cover her bases. She couldn't be questioned about what the book was if she claimed to have forgotten, surely. Her other ear twitched, and her weight shifted back. Aslisk was certain the firesprink would certainly begin a serious of belittlement to her lackluster reading abilities, and it added reason to her covering her bases as swiftly and fluidly as she could manage.

ive always had to get my hands dirty, a patrol to make sure no one hurts me

TAGS 10/3/19:

Re: peel your standards - reading - redvox. - 11-05-2019